How SERVPRO Protects Your Home Contents
Don't let a storm destroy the items in your house, be prepared to call SERVPRO of North Arlington at 703-243-6666!
SERVPRO of North Arlington specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of North Arlington can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO of North Arlington can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a storm event happens, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most
How to read Storm Warnings
Never underestimate a storm warning, a storm can devastate your home. Call SERVPRO of North Arlington at 703-243-6666!
Storm Warnings can pop up anywhere: TV, cell phone warnings, radio, etc., but do we really understand what these warnings mean? Know these definitions so you are prepared for any storm:
- Tornado Watch Conditions are ripe for tornadoes within the watch area. Tornadoes associated with hurricanes and tropical storms are typically a very significant cause of death and damage.
- Tornado Warning A tornado has been spotted visually or on radar. Usually issued for a county. If a tornado WARNING is issued where you live, GET TO THE MIDDLE OF THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STRONG BUILDING IMMEDIATELY!!!
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch Conditions are ripe for severe thunderstorms within the watch area.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning There is a severe thunderstorm in or heading for the warned area. Treat this like a tornado warning!!
- Flash Flood Watch Flash floods are likely to occur in the near future. Be alert for rising water and be prepared to have to move to high ground.
- Flash Flood Warning Flash floods are occurring or expected to occur in the near future. If this happens, get to high ground immediately, and GET AWAY FROM VEHICLES... it only takes 18 inches of water to sweep a car or truck away!
- High Wind Advisory Windy conditions may occur in the advisory area. This usually makes for unsafe conditions while driving, especially in (but not limited to) large vehicles. Also, avoid boating anywhere in the advisory area.
- High Wind Warning Very strong winds are expected or already are occurring that present a significant danger while driving, boating and other outdoor activities. Often issued near tropical storms and hurricanes.
The Dangers of Mold & Structural Damage
If you have or suspect you may have mold in your home, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of North Arlington at 703-243-6666!
YES, Mold Can Cause Structural Damage to your Home!
Many homes across the United States have mold issues. One of the problems with mold is that it doesn't always appear where you can see it. Without having visible signs of mold present, homeowners often must wait until they smell the mold spores, and by then, the problem is much greater, and more difficult to control. If mold is present, it is a sign of higher-than-acceptable levels of humidity. Both mold and humidity can affect the interior of any home, leading to wood beams rotting, deterioration of drywall, peeling of wallpapers and borders, and many other issues within your home.
Which Homes Can Have Mold?
When you can smell the musty odor of mold in your home, mold damage has been able to strike the interior of your home for a while. Mold grows within 48 hours of water meeting mold spores that pre-exist in your home. A 2003 study by the University of Arizona discovered that 100 percent of the homes tested had at least one strain of mold spores present in the interior. Some homes had more than one type of mold spores present. Where these spores are located at in your home is usually unknown, until they become a problem by beginning to grow, and soon becoming visible.
Why You Should Keep Mold Growth to a Minimum
Mold can cause adverse health effects in people, and so can high humidity level. If a home is hot and humid, pre-existing breathing problems can be worse. If a home is cool and damp, the same is true, but you may feel cold and clammy. Both are detrimental to your home's health, as both are excellent environments for mold to grow rapidly. Using a dehumidifier can keep humidity levels to a reasonable level. Fixing leaks throughout the home is also another way to control humidity and mold growth.
How We Can Help You
Our professionals are trained in determining not only how much mold is present in your home, and where any growths are located at, but also where water may be coming from. Water can enter your living space through problematic water lines, or from external sources, such as rainwater that has entered in through a crack or crevice in your home's exterior. We have technology that allows us to see inside your home's structure, so we can see where humidity has collected.
Once we know where the water source is, we can fix the problem. Then we can begin to dehumidify your home with our commercial-grade equipment. Then we will inspect for the damage that mold can cause and explain to you the best course of action for your particular situation. We have the training and experience, alongside the latest equipment and current IICRC certifications, to help make it, “Like it never even happened.”
You can reach our trained remediation professionals by calling SERVPRO of North Arlington 24/7 at 703-243-6666!
What TO do, and what NOT to do after a Fire
Has your property experienced fire damage? Call SERVPRO of North Arlington at 703-243-6666 now!
What to do after A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Commercial Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning
Experience a new level of clean in your office with SERVPRO of North Arlington's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning. Call now at 703-243-6666!
Even the highest-quality carpet and upholstery can show soiling over time. Protect your investment by calling us to clean and maintain your carpet and upholstery. The SERVPRO System offers a number of cleaning options to match any type of upholstery or carpet.
Need Carpet or Upholstery Cleaning?
Call Today – 703-243-6666!
We also offer a range of specialized cleaning methods:
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
Carpets act as a filter, trapping dust, dirt, gases, animal hair, and other soils. All carpet manufacturers agree on actions you can take between carpet cleanings to increase the life span of your carpet.Preventative maintenance actions include:
IICRC states that 79% of soil in carpet is dry soil. Vacuuming is a key component to proper care and maintenance of carpet.
- Regular vacuuming
- Spot removal
- Pilating the carpet to prevent matting
- Moving furniture to change traffic patterns
- Using walk-off mats to limit the amount of soil tracked onto the carpet
Our professional cleaning can address moderate and heavy soil conditions in your carpets. How often you’ll need professional cleaning depends on soil build-up, traffic, type and color of carpeting. A good rule of thumb would be to professionally clean your carpet every 12 months. The best advice is to clean carpets before they become totally saturated with soil. If you wait until carpets look really dirty, the carpets may never be restored to their former appearance. Dirt builds up in layers, and when a carpet looks dirty you are only seeing the dirt at the tips of the fibers. More dirt is hiding below the surface down near the base of the pile, causing damage to the carpet. When a carpet is saturated with dirt, the soil has penetrated crevices and has become firmly lodged.
We will get the job done right. For a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment, over 40 years of experience and Professionals trained to the highest standards, call us today.
Our Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration Services
Need Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration Services in North Arlington? Call us at 703-243-6666 today!
After a smoke or fire damage, ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting and floors will often need a thorough cleaning. Your experienced local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional will pretest to determine the extent of damage, and then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the different types of surfaces found in your structure. Depending on the amount of soot, your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional may even be able to reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning lighter soot deposits found on some surfaces, eliminating the expense incurred with repainting or refinishing. In other cases, SERVPRO® will clean to “prepare for painting”. This process deodorizes and ensures the new paint will adhere properly to the surface.
All of the restorable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies and upholstery. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals begin by carefully inspecting and testing all fabrics in the structure to determine which cleaning methods are most appropriate. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals can provide wet or dry cleaning services. Additionally, all the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to pre loss condition. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, clothing, bedding, bric-a-brac and much more. Finally, SERVPRO® can provide an inventory list of all “to be claimed” items if requested.
SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals provide specialized services that rid your home or place of business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out the sources of the odor and remove them. Ask your SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
SERVPRO Water Detection Equipment
Think these tools would be a good fit for your water damage restoration needs? Then give SERVPRO of North Arlington a call at 703-243-6666!
Scoping involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Moisture detection devices are also used to verify that an environment has been dried thoroughly.
Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to monitor the drying process.
Thermohygrometers measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, a SERVPRO® Franchise Professional using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
If you find your property experiencing water damage, make sure you call SERVPRO of North Arlington at 703-243-6666!
Additional Fire Services We Provide
For more information on any of the services listed above, please give our franchise SERVPRO of North Arlington a call at 703-243-6666!
In some cases it may be important to secure openings to your home or structure using sturdy, durable materials designed to protect it from both weather intrusion and intrusion by outsiders. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals may perform the board-up themselves, or outside subcontractors may be utilized.
Utilizing Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) technology, SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals can generate comprehensive room-by-room inventories. Contents are categorized as salvageable, non-salvageable and questionable - allowing for easier contents settlement.
If prolonged exposure to the loss event could cause additional damage to your contents, your contractor requests relocation of the contents, or the safety of your contents is a concern, a move-out may be recommended. In these situations, SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals are trained to properly inventory, move out and control the contents from the structure during the cleaning, restoration and deodorization process.
Smoke residues can contain acids that corrode metal surfaces when moisture is also present. If the residues are not removed, corrosion can eat away at the metal casing and can ultimately cause electronic failure in the device. A SERVPRO® Franchise Professional can clean the outside casing correctly, as well as refer your equipment to a qualified electronics vendor.
Artwork ranges from inexpensive framed pictures to extremely valuable fine art. Restoration of valuable art requires the use of a trained art restorer (known as a conservator), while less expensive art may not warrant these costly specialized services. A SERVPRO® Franchise Professional will usually subcontract fine art restoration to a conservator. If desired, the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional may attempt to remove smoke residues and odors, after qualifying with the customer that such cleaning procedures may affect the visible appearance of the item.
Odor Removal and Deodorization
Don't let the stench of mold take grasp of your home, call SERVPRO of North Arlington today at 703-243-6666 to keep your home secure!
As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of North Arlington is trained to identify and eliminate offensive odors. These odors can come from a number of sources both inside and outside a structure.
SERVPRO teaches IICRC technical classes in the proper removal of odors. Masking and other short cuts don't work when your odor problem is serious or persistent.
We have the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor and determining the conditions in which it contact any surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace. Our technicians have access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize an unpleasant odor thoroughly.
The science of identifying and eliminating odors can be a tricky thing, so give us a call, and leave the restoration to us.
Air Ducts and HVAC Cleaning
Ensure the health of your home or business with our SERVPRO Air Ducts and HVAC Cleaning, call now at 703-243-6666 to inquire more details!
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating one or more of the following:
- Dirt and debris
- Other contaminants
SERVPRO of North Arlington Professionals routinely inspect the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, call us today, (703) 243-6666.